315Alive is a community-supported "pilot project" coordinating an innovative, diverse and inclusive system to spark public art in Syracuse, NY.
Over the past 20+ years, Syracuse, New York has reinvented itself as a Center for the Arts, both among its more traditional, educational, and larger-scale institutional assets, as well as within its rising independent creative "street scene"… for many it has become a burgeoning Cultural Hub primed for lift off. 315ALIVE aims to push this envelope even further.
WHAT IS PROJECT SUCCESS ✔
Although embracing and enjoying Art is often a subjective, personal experience, the Artists, facilitators, partners, sponsors and citizenry ought to be satisfied with the following results:
- The Murals are beautiful and makes the community happy / proud;
- The Murals are kept in good condition for duration of life-span;
- More building owners see value in supporting Public Art;
- It inspires more public / private investments in Public Art;
- Children and area youth are inspired to make more Public Art;
- It creates Positive News for the community;
- It initiates more walking and biking in the neighborhood;
- It shines more light on the positive effects of creative place-making;
- It continues to widen the pathway for Artists to earn a living making Art;
- It inspires our School District to adopt more Public Arts curriculum & programming.
*While these Murals hope to serve as a source of inspiration, many of these goals will need further development of leadership among community members, orgs and area schools.
PROCESS FOR SUCCESS ✔
- Define the parameters of the project;
- Identify (12) site locations and gather approval from each property owner;
- Chose participating artists / arts groups to render unique designs for each site;
- Call for donated materials, private giving & launch a “GoFundme” for cash donations;
- Present all site applications with designs and owner, community approval to PAC on time.
I. TIMELINE: 12 WEEKS = AUGUST 08 - OCTOBER 31, 2018
II. LOCATIONS: Contract (at least) 12 select, approved sites within the greater metropolitan area.
III. ARTISTS: Open Call for project participation, all ages, all levels, with a focus on local artists / groups.
IV. MURALS: Actualizes a wide range of works of art, from historical murals to new, contemporary designs.
(Long-term, rotating and temporary applications will all be considered.)
V. COMMUNITY ENGAGEMENT: Project goals will be achieved through a multi-stakeholder collaboration with local property owners, business owners, artists, organizations like the Downtown Committee, CSCEO, CNYArts!, Believe in Syracuse, UNPA, Armory / Hanover / Franklin Square Assns., Adapt CNY (40Below) PATF, while working with the City of Syracuse, the Public Arts Commission, TNTs and other departments.
VI. FUNDRAISING: A call for community gifted cash contributions will be promoted and aggregated by a one month long “GoFundMe” crowd sourced fundraiser, while also seeking support from area foundations, as well as property owners, site owners, and other private sector donors.
VII. OVERSIGHT & MANAGEMENT: Spark Contemporary Art Space, LLC (Alchemical Nursery, LLC 501c3).
VIII. BUDGET TOTAL: $40,000.00
($20k from private foundations; $10k private companies; $10k from GoFundMe)
* Avg. $2,500.00 artist stipend for each site (x12) = $30,000.00
* Appx. $2,000.00 blanket insurance coverage (1yr)
* Appx. $2,000.00 miscellaneous costs, permits, fees, etc. per site (~ $150.00 x12)
* Appx. $2,000.00 in art making material purchases per site (~ $150.00 x12)
* Appx. $4,000.00 10% Administration / Coordination Fee to Spark Contemporary Art Space, LLC
* In-Kind Donation: 30’ Electric Boom Lift (3 months) / Nastri Real Estate
* In-Kind Donation: Use of Box Truck (3 months)
* In-Kind Donation: Avg. $500.00 of art making material at each site (x12)*
* materials donated by companies and individuals
IX. PRESENTATION: Spark Art Space (ie. Jacob Roberts) will aggregate and present all 12 final applications for review during Public Arts Commission meetings at City Hall in July, August, September and October 2018.
Public Arts Trust
A robust 12-week schedule of project management will be developed in accordance with artist, material and site availability. Each mural wall will have all approvals, resources, insurance, materials, volunteers and equipment needed for the successful application of each piece of art. The aim is for the artists to use high quality, exterior grade paints for good, clean finishes that pop, and with adequate funding, an added clear coat of protective cover ought to be applied to long-term murals.
Syracuse, NY is poised to consider developing a long term Public Arts Trust to fund the design, development and preservation of local Public Art. This project is the "pilot program" to show what can be done with and for the city in the future. Join the conversation and follow our Facebook Page, and get in touch!